The Architect of Bangladesh
DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE BY BANGABANDHU AND THE FALSEHOOD OF BNP-JAMAT ALLIANCE
BNP-Jamat Alliance has recently come up with an unbelievable and baseless claim that the then Major Zia proclaimed Independence of Bangladesh from Chittagong on 25th March 1971. This is a new invention after 33 years of independence which Zia himself did never claim in his lifetime. This is a blatant lie and concocted story coming out of fertile brains of BNP-Jamat leaders.
2. It is an universally accepted fact that the father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman declared independence on 26th March 1971 before his arrest. In his speech broadcast in Radio & TV the Chief of Military Junta General Yahya Khan accused Bangabandhu for this declaration. All contemporary historical records, facts, documents, writings, statements and sayings, both at home and abroad proved it beyond all doubts. For this declaration Bangabandhu had not only to face farcical trial in jail but even a grave was dug for him. Not only this, the diplomats & journalists of USA, UK and other western countries based in Dhaka at that time have all mentioned this declaration by Sheikh Mujib on 26th March 1971. Recently published CIA (USA) report has clearly stated that Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman declared independence. Even the Pakistani army officers had heard this declaration through BDR wireless (Ref. "Witness to Surrender" by Pakistani Army officer Major Siddik Salek). To this effect he gave witness to Hamudur Rahman commission constituted by Bhutto and this has been published in books and reports. Besides some members of Certifying Committee of "Documents on the war of Independence" published in 1982 by refuting the BNP-Jamat claim have again unequivocally stated that the declaration of the Independence by Sheikh Mujib was a proved document beyond any doubt. Most importantly after independence of the country Ziaur Rahman himself in his article published in the Weekly Bichitra mentioned that he joined the war of independence at the call of Bangabandhu.
3. The undisputed truth of Declaration of war of Independence by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in the early hours of 26th March (i.e., 25th March night- just before his arrest), 1971 was duly incorporated as historic documentation at the beginning of the 3rd volume of the 15 volumes of "Documents on the war of Independence." These were published through a project in 1982 under the editorship of the famous Poet-cum-Journalist Late Mr. Hasan Hafizur Rahman and under the supervision of a "Certifying Committee" appointed during the Govt. of late Ziaur Rahman. On the basis of this declaration, the People's Representatives formally adopted "The Proclamation of Independence Order of Bangladesh" on 10th April, 1971. But, to the utter surprise of the nation, the ministry of Freedom Fighter's Affairs of the Alliance Govt. of Khaleda-Nizami has desperately and derogatorily deleted this historic declaration from the new edition of the same volume in the name of re-print. Not only this, they have inserted an imaginary and concocted document "First Declaration of Independence" on 25th March night of 1971 by Major Ziaur Rahman instead of the Declaration of Independence by Bangabandhu. Absolutely dominated by anti-liberation forces, the Govt. of Alliance committed this sort of mischief with the ulterior motive to distort the true history of the emergence of Bangladesh. Their such acts amount to violation of the constitution. As such, storms of protests are coming-up from amongst the living political leaders, bureaucrats, intellectuals, writers, journalists and teachers including the military commanders who actively participated in the war of liberation.
4. The following few historical facts will speak for itself :
(A). The declaration of independence of Bangladesh is not a sudden emotional announcement. It is the outcome of or an important stage of the continuous 23 year's of our historic struggle for national liberation. Starting from the language movements (1948-52) through various movements and struggle such as, the Jukta Front (United Front) of 1958, 6-point movement of 1966, Agartala Conspiracy case up to mass upsurge in 1969 on 11-point programme, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman made Bangalee's autonomy demand into an irresistible and formidable one. Ayub Khan resigned and Yahya Khan took over Power and declared election.
(B). The Parliamentary election was held in 1970. Unprecedented and overwhelming victory of Awami League under the leadership of Bangabandhu in this election and administering Oath of the newly elected M.P's openly in the Race course Maidan was a step forward towards our Independence.
(C). When the nation had been awaiting for a central Govt. headed by Sheikh Mujib and the Parliament Session on 3rd March, 1971, President Yahya Khan unilaterally postponed the session sine die even without consulting Sheikh Mujib. The above unilateral act of Yahya Khan ignited fire in the 75 million Bangalees. In order to embrace with the situation, Bangabandhu called for peaceful and non-violent non-cooperation movement. During the entire period of non-cooperation movement, the civil administration of erstwhile East Pakistan was virtually under the command and control of Bangbandhu. This was another step forward for independence.
(D). At the backdrop of this situation, the historic 7th March came. On that day Bangabandhu in a public meeting attended by millions held at Race Course Maidan called upon the people,
"The fight, this time, is for freedom!
The struggle, this time, is for independence."
This famous speech of Bangabandhu is almost a declaration of Independence. But the wordings of his poetic speech were so thoughtfully and skillfully structured that the Pakistani's as well as the outside world could not term it as an act of cessation or Separatist movement. The opportune moment for declaration of independence in unequivocal terms was not far away.
(E) Bangabandhu Knew that the Pak army would crack down on the Bangalees any time. So, he made-up his mind and decided to declare full Independence at an opportune moment. That would be the moment the Pak army would crack down on our Bangali population. Therefore, Bangabandhu got his Declaration of Independence recorded very confidentially with necessary instructions to those who would be pronouncing it at his behest. He also gave necessary directives to his trusted political colleagues about the next course of actions.
(F) On 25th March 1971, after a series of drama in the name of dialogues & discussions by the Pak Military Junta and Mr. Bhutoo with Sheikh Mujib and armed forces including Police & students, the Pak army cracked down after midnight on the civilian population with all their sophisticated arms & ammunitions and the moment came for Bangabandhu to declare independence.
(G) At that stage, Bangabandhu in the early hours of 26th March, 1971 (before his arrest) declared Independence of Bangladesh which reads as under :
"I appeal and order you all in the name of Almighty Allah to fight to the last drop of blood to liberate the country. Ask police, the E.P.R., the Bengal Regiment and the Ansars to stand by you and to fight. No compromise. Victory is ours."
5. The above Declaration of Independence by Bangabandhu started transmitting immediately in the form of a message through a portable Transmitter by Subeder Major Md. Showkat Ali of E.P.R. signals installed at his Pilkhana residence. As soon as the message of declaration of Indepen- dence started transmitting, Bangabandhu was arrested by the Pak army at 1-10 A. M. of 26th March and flown to Karachi as a prisoner. Meanwhile, Subeder Major Shoukat Ali and his fellow comrades were caught red-handed by the Pak army exactly in the position of transmitting the Declaration of Independence. After arrest, these heroes of E.P.R. Signals were continuously and brutally tortured to martyrdom These facts were clearly narrated by the only daughter of Subeder Major Md. Showkat Ali Professor Dr. Selina Parveen, Department of Zoology, University of Rajshahi through her writings published in the Daily Janakhanta on 24th July, 2004 and in the Daily Sangbad on 31st March, 1997 including many other Journals at home and abroad.
6. According to the plan, the Declaration of Independence by Bangabandhu had started being announced through miking and leaflets as soon as this was received in Chittagong and in other places of the country including adjacent districts of Dhaka. On 26th March, Mr. M. A. Hannan, an Awami League leader of Chittagong received the message and he was the first person to read out Bangabandhu's Declaration of Independence from Radio, Chittagong.
7. On the following day i.e., on 27th March evening, the then Major Zia the senior most officer available at that time while fleeing for life was forced by local Awami League Leaders to read out the Declaration of independence in the name of Bangabandhu in the following way :
"On behalf of our great leader, the Supreme Commander of Bangladesh Sheikh Mjibur Rahman, we hereby proclaim the Independence of Bangladesh."
8. Major Zia also reiterated the same in one of his own writings published in the erstwhile Dainik Bangla on 26th March, 1972 which was re-published in the Independence Day edition of the Daily Janakhanta in 2002. The writings of Major Zia also has been supported by his co-fighters like Captain Shamser Mobin Chowdhury (now Foreign secretary), Captain Nasim B.B. (later on General and Chief of the Army Staff) and Captain S. A. Bhuiya (later on General). All these lead to one conclusion that the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Proclaimed independence on 26th March 1971 and the war of liberation went on in his name and finally Bangladesh won its liberations after great sacrifice. Zia was not more than one of the sector Commanders.
9. Now let us examine the of BNP-Jamat claim for declaration of independence by Zia on 25th March :
(A) It is quite noteworthy that no other political or war colleague of Zia had ever claimed that Zia declared independence on 25th March 1971. Even before this Alliance Govt. came to power BNP did not also raise such baseless claim earlier. Rather the historical truth is that Zia as a loyal officer of Pakistani army was actively and zealously engaged on 25th & 26th March for unloading arms and ammunitions for Pakistani army from the ship 'SWAT' anchored at Chittagong port.
(B) In this connection it is also important to note that Ziaur Rahman had not to face any accusation from Pakistan for his so-called declaration of independence. Rather Pakistani rulers congratulated him for his appointment as chief of Army just after 8 days of the murder of Bangabandhu on 15th August 1975.
(C) Further during Bangabandhu's lifetime when Zia was Dy. Chief of Army knowing fully well about 15th August conspiracy did not take any measure to protect the elected Govt. and did not do anything to save the life of the President (Bangabandhu) of the country. This was a treachery and failure on the part of Zia which could have called for his court-martial, which did not happen. The self proclaimed murderers of Bangabandhu had told that the murders of 15th August and the revolt happened with the full consent of Ziaur Rahman. And as a reward the murderer Khondoker Mustaq Ahmed appointed him Chief of Army within 8 days of the murder of Sheikh Mujib. This goes to prove that Zia himself was associated with the murder of Bangabandhu. He betrayed his president and his oath of allegiance.
(D) His disloyalty to nation and lust for power are quite evident from the following:
If, indeed, Zia had truly accepted war of freedom and remained faithful to the Principles and vows for freedom, he would not give indulgence to the murderers of Bangabandhu and would not reward them. Had he been a real freedom fighter, he would not have declared himself the President of Bangladesh illegally betraying the ideals and perception of freedom fight. He would not also change the constitution by military orders, appoint anti-liberation politicians in power, pardon Razakars by abolishing Collaborator's Act, allow communal parties and give them opportunity to take part in politics and would not bring back war criminal Ghulam Azam and allow reorganize fundamentalist party the Jamate Islami.
(E) Last, but not the least, how can one imagine that the sudden call of an unknown Major in a radio can inspire a nation to rise and fight for freedom unless the ground was prepared for this. Here comes the name of Bangabandhu who worked for long 23 years to prepare the ground and united the nation for the great struggle and at his clarion call on 26th March 1971, the nation woke up and fought for independence till it was achieved.
10. The Declaration of Independence by Bangabandhu is the genesis of the Proclamation of Independence Order of Bangladesh on 10th March 1971. Since our constitution is framed on the basis and spirit of this proclamation, the declaration of Independence has become an integral part of the constitution. It basically became an interim Constitution and gave legitimacy to Revolutionary Mujib Nagar Govt. formed with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman as the President, and Supreme Commander of all Forces, Syed Nazrul Islam as Acting President, Taj Uddin Ahmed as the Prime Minister. Major Zia acted as a sector Commander only. The Fourth Schedule is very important. This Schedule is related to "Transitional and temporary Provisions" of the constitution which includes the Proclamation of Independence. As regards this Schedule, Article 150 of the Constitution states "the Transitional and temporary Provision, set out in the fourth Schedule shall have effect notwithstanding any other Provisions of this constitution." On the otherhand, the proclamation of Independence has been included as Appendix I of the constitution.
11. So, it is an established and recognized fact that nobody, but Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman declared the Independence of Bangladesh which has been duly incorporated in the constitution. Moreover nobody other than Bangabandhu had the legitimate right to and he did declare the Independence of Bangladesh. Therefore, the attempt of the Govt. of Alliance by incorporating the fake & false declaration by Major Zia is a violation of the constitution.
12. Now it is clear that the claim of the BNP-Jamat Govt. regarding Declaration of Independence by Major Zia is a sheer lie and an attempt to distort the true history. Such a lie is undoubtedly a great sin & these would be made accountable to the people who has already rejected their false, fabricated and concocted claim.
13. From the above discussion it is clear that the Khelada-Nizami's Govt. aim is not only to establish Zia as the proclaimer of Independence. Their real object is to show the independence as disputed, illegal and unlawful by proving Bangaldesh's independence war as a mere mutiny or revolt of armies. If it can be proved that Bangbandhu did not proclaim independence on 26th March then the Declaration of Independence on 10th April 1971 becomes illegal and Mujib Nagar Govt. does not have any constitutional basis. By the false claim that Zia declared independence on 26th March, they want to mislead the people and according to the demand of the defeated foes of Bangladesh and collaboraters of Pakistani forces the Khaleda-Nizami Govt. by amending Constitution, changing national flag and anthem wish to make Bangladesh a theocratic and communal state. With this far-reaching aim they have taken move to change history and resorted to distortion With the same object in mind their conspiracy to deface the name of Banganbdhu from the history of nation and destroy the Awami League, have been continuing. The introduction of distorted history of independence and war of Independence in the text books is not an isolated issue. It is a part of a big game.
THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
Soon after the Pakistani army crackdown on the night of March 25, 1971, the first declaration of independence was made over the radio by M. A. Hannan. Very few people heard this declaration and Major Zia's famous "Ami Major Zia Bolchhi" declaration over Chittagong radio on March 27 was picked up by foreign news agency and was given wide publicity.
"Today Bangladesh is a sovereign and independent country. On Thursday night West Pakistani armed forces suddenly attacked the police barracks at Razarbagh and the EPR headquarters at Pilkhana in Dhaka. Many innocent and unarmed have been killed in Dhaka city and other places of Bangladesh. Violent clashes between EPR and Police on the one hand and the armed forces of Pindi on the other, are going on. The Bengalis are fighting the enemy with great courage for an independent Bangladesh. May God aid us in our fight for freedom. Joy Bangla."
Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM